When looking for my latest recipe, I scrolled through Pinterest for something simple yet delicious. Even though I frequently bake, sometimes I don’t feel like spending a ton of time in the kitchen. Then I saw an amazing solution—Oreo popcorn! I know, it sounds a bit bizarre—but trust me on this one. If you’re a fan of chocolate-covered pretzels, you’ll love this salty/sweet combo.
Not only does it give you an excuse to make something new, but this popcorn also serves as the perfect fuel for your next Netflix marathon. As someone who spent a majority of last weekend binge-watching shows with one of my best friends, I know the importance of good TV snacks. And this popcorn? It definitely takes your Orville Redenbacher up a notch.
I adapted the recipe from CincyShopper.com. The blogger used plain Oreos, but the birthday cake flavor and sprinkles were my own spin on it. (You can totally use whatever flavor is your favorite!)
- 5 cups of popcorn (This is one full bag!)
- 11 oz white chocolate chips
- 12 birthday cake Oreos
- Rainbow sprinkles
1. Pop the popcorn. I chose to use a lightly buttered one, but I imagine any works. I just didn’t want it to be overwhelmingly buttery.
P.S. Props to whoever invented the “popcorn” button on microwaves. It makes life way easier!
Ta-da! It’s like magic.
2. Crush up the Oreos. The originally recipe used a food processor. Do that if you have one! Or be like me, and just use a wooden spoon in a big bowl to break them up.
Sure, it takes a little longer, but it’s equally effective.
Just keep crushing them…
Until they’re much smaller chunks like this!
3. Melt white chocolate chips. Pour the chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals at 70% power, stir, and repeat. Continue until it’s fully melted.
Pro tip: Don’t over-microwave the chocolate! I made that mistake and it became burnt. So then I had to completely redo it… Oops!
4. Pour the chocolate into the popcorn and mix together. It’s a little tricky to mix, so make sure you use a big enough bowl. I separated it into two bowls so I could coat it evenly.
5. Add the Oreo crumbs. Continue mixing around until the popcorn pieces are evenly coated.
6. Add sprinkles on top as a finishing touch. (Not sure if it adds to the flavor, but it’s a nice aesthetic touch, right?)
7. Find something to watch on Netflix and dig in!
Pour out a bowl of popcorn and turn on your favorite show. Sounds like a perfect night to me!